Third Quarter Mission Focus: Ryan's Case For Smiles
3rd Quarter Mission
FEEL BETTER TO HEAL BETTER
Ryan’s Case for Smiles is a volunteer organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of children and their families as they cope with life-changing illnesses, injuries and experiences. A hospital stay or living in a shelter can be a terrifying, traumatic experience, especially for a child. Promising research shows trauma can be minimized and outcomes improved through experiences that reduce stress. A simple pillowcase can provide seven proven stress relievers for emotional well-being: comfort, distraction/play, choice/control, familiarity, expression, connection and hope. Volunteers create whimsical pillowcases that give an emotional boost to the sick and distressed children reminding them that they are not defined by their situation. With every stitch, every yard of fabric and every pillowcase, Ryan’s Case for Smiles gets one step closer to its goal of helping kids feel better to heal better.
Warsaw FUMC member Shannon Jenks is the coordinator of the South Bend, Indiana Chapter of Ryan’s Case for Smiles, which currently serves six hospitals – Kosciusko Community, Parkview-Warsaw, Parkview-Columbia City, Mishawaka St. Joe, South Bend Beacon Memorial Children’s and A Rosie Place; The Beaman Home; Joe’s Kids; and Strengthening Families. Almost 2500 pillowcases have been delivered in the first five months of 2022, and more than 20,300 pillowcases have delivered over the lifetime of the South Bend Chapter.
Here are some ways you can provide life-changing support for Ryan’s Case for Smiles:
- Become one of 30+ volunteers! You do not have to sew – there are many steps in the process of creating a pillowcase! Upcoming workshops are:
- Sept 19 – Thyme to Sew – South Bend – 10a-3p
- Sept 22 – FUMC – Fellowship Hall – 9a-12p
- Sept 26 – FUMC – Fellowship Hall – 12p-4p
- Sept 29 – FUMC – Fellowship Hall – 9a-12p
- Coins for Cases – fill a prescription bottle with your change . . . “Make change from your change” (bottles provided at both FUMC campuses – Downtown and The Connection) . . . drop off at the Church Office or place in the Sunday morning offering
- Sunday coin and mission offerings during the 3rd quarter of 2022
- Contact Shannon for other ways and with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org